Thursday, August 11, 2011

Thursday, Aug. 11, '11 White River Junction, VT 40/67 miles


Jean starts up the Pass


Truck on cheese
Another buffet breakfast got us off to a good start around 7:30 today. Five miles out we expected to begin a significant climb followed by an even more significant descent. At about mile 10, the road leveled out but then at 18 miles, it went into a 12-15% climb just before the real summit. I must admit to walking a short distance in the very beginning, but managed the rest just fine. Actually, the descent was more difficult for me than the climb. I went slowly and feathered my brakes all the way thru the turns and around the rough pavement. We road past beautiful Bread Loaf Inn which I’m told is part of Middlebury College. All of the conference facilities were painted a peculiar yellow which was quite lovely against the backdrop of the Green Mountains. (See pic)
At the bottom of the Pass, I stopped at a quirky little hotel and enjoyed a carrot muffin and cup of coffee while sitting in the sunshine on the side porch. Mistake!! The muffin began to do a number on my stomach and by mile 40, I was in serious pain and sagged in. Long story short - I’m over the pain and feeling just fine again.

The most cluttered shop . . .
In Rochester, VT, (mile 24) I stopped by the Green Mountain Bike Shop to (again) get my shifting tweaked. This time it was determined that I need a new left shifter unit ($240+). Although the shop had the part, I decided to live with the issue til I get back to BikesPlus. My friends tell me it’s time to ditch this bike! I’ve complained about the shifting since it was new in ’07.

To digress . . . Most of today’s ride was along the beautiful White River, aptly named as it was full of white rapids, and across The Green Mountains. The high today is only 78 (sorry, Memphis), and the sky has been mostly sunny.   
White River and rapids



Green Mtn. forest

Green Mountains

Menu:  Shepherd's Pie (w/sweet potatoes, broccoli, onion, carrots, ground turkey), Carrot Salad (w/fennel, pineapple, mayo), Red Grapes, Homemade Cookies (sent from CA)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home