Monday, August 8, 2011

Monday, August 8, '11 Schroon Lake, NY 0/86 miles



Linda loading my bike
This morning when I woke up, my body told me that I didn’t need to ride today. I don’t think I’ve ever felt this tired, which I know is from the climbing (especially the standing climbing) that I did yesterday. I just kind of ache all over. So, I took a shower and dressed in civvies! After breakfast of oatmeal and scrambled eggs, I volunteered to wash the dishes before we loaded the van which, today, would help with the SAG support. On long days like today, the van and trailer hop scotch with the Subaru in order to provide water and snacks for all the riders. Getting back to the dishes, I soaked the oatmeal pot and the egg skillet with hot, soapy water in the tub while I washed and dried all the spoons and forks. That proved to be a good plan as the oatmeal and eggs residue was fairly easy to scrub away. My tub was a mess, but I cleaned it out, too. J )
Lunch at Schroon Lake convenience store

One loaded van!

I wasn’t the only one who chose not to bike today, and before the day was over, there were nine of us in the van. We traveled through thick forests which was almost like going thru a tunnel.  The first ten lakes that we passed were called First Lake, Second Lake, etc.  We also passed Blue Mountain Lake which was in an area similar to the Smoky Mountains (heavy bluish haze), and, finally, we crossed the Hudson River.  Somewhere along the way a heavy downpour came up and most of the cyclists got soaked. Was I ever glad I was in the van. There were some mighty long climbs today with wonderful, long descents. Those downhills can be really dangerous on wet roads because it's difficult to slow down and scary to 'let go' and just coast.  I was sad to miss the fun, but know that I made the right decision. There will be plenty of hills and downhills in the coming days, hopefully without getting wet.

Menu: Pork with peanut sauce over brown rice, Oriental slaw, Fresh pineapple, Chocolate Pudding

1 Comments:

At August 9, 2011 at 8:17 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praying you have been refreshed as you behold GOD's creation. Love ya'll, Vicki

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home