Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Wednesday, Aug. 3, '11 Day Off - Niagara Falls, NY

Wow! This visit to Niagara Falls is surely the highlight of this summer’s 

Rainbow Bridge crossed yesterday
bike trip. This morning seven of us boarded a sightseeing bus, and I enjoyed every minute of a 4 hr. tour of the Falls. It seems that Horseshoe, Luna, Bridal and American all make up what’s known as Niagara Falls.  
American Falls
Our guide said that 12,000 years ago Horseshoe and the American falls were one, but over time, the sandstone, etc., has eroded to form the falls. The current in Niagara River is so strong (40 mph) that it is not navigable. This water rushes toward the cliffs and if one were fishing or in a boat, there would be no stopping it to avoid going over the falls. There was a boat in the 60’s that got stranded and still sits in the water. A child went overboard on a life preserver and miraculously was picked up by one of the Maid of the Mist boats and lived. Above the falls, Prospect Point and Goat Island make up the Niagara Reservation and is the oldest state park in the United States.

On the tour we visited the area of the Whirlpool where the river forms a huge whirlpool before making a 90 degree turn going north. In the picture you will see a tram car suspended over the whirlpool in route from one side of the river to the other. This car was built in 1916 and still runs today - NOT with me!

From this location we were taken to the Maid of the Mist boat dock where 
Maid of the Mist
we donned blue ponchos and boarded one of the small boats that has been taking tourists to the base of Horseshoe Falls since 1846. The boats go right up to the falls and sit there for five minutes or so while, except for the ponchos, everyone gets drenched. You just have to stand there, listen to the roar of the water, the squeals of the tourists, and the laugh of the Wet Hens (our version)! It truly was great fun.  
A few 'wet hens'

Before we got wet!
Observation Deck


The next stop on our tour was the observation deck which was reached by an elevator. From the ground looking up, I thought there was no way I would go out on the deck, but, actually, it wasn’t frightening once I got up there. Truly, the views of the falls were spectacular. 


Bridal Veil Falls
The next stop on our tour was the Cave of the Winds. 
Donning the sandals
Here we were given not only a different poncho, but also sandals to put on, and a sack to use for our own shoes. The shoes had rough soles to make walking on the stairs a little safer. This time we descended in an elevator, then walked through a tunnel to a series of wooded steps and platforms on the edge of the cliff just under the Bridal Veil Falls (which is adjacent to the American Falls). The tunnel was well lit, or again, I would have panicked! I observed the falls up close and walked up about two levels, but decided I didn’t need to go any further. I think the others in our group went as far as possible until the spray was right on top of them! I just made my way back down to the tunnel and the elevator that took me back to the top. Since I’ve always been afraid of heights and closed spaces, I’ve surprised myself on this trip. Today was no exception. I’ve also ridden across all the bridges with little trepidation.

Goat Island and Terrapin Point provided other outstanding views of the falls, as well as the rapids approaching the falls.

Rapids approaching cliff
Horseshoe Falls U.S. side
This afternoon at 4:00, Kit Fruscione and her family provided a fabulous outdoor party for us at Kit’s sister and brother-in-law’s home in Lewiston, NY, about 15 minutes north of Niagara Falls. Their home has a beautiful backyard with pool and pool house.  One of the cousins acted as bartender and made a pitcher each of cream sickles (sp.?) and beergaritas. Don’t knock it ’til you try it! They were delicious. You 
Sue and Barb
just don’t want to ‘try’ too many. J ) I was good. As a starter, a local Italian pizza company delivered the best pizza I’ve ever eaten (no cheese, just a delicious sauce on crust). Then, Kenny grilled NY Whistle Pigs (grilled dogs w/bacon wrapped around and cheese melted on top). My, they were good. In addition there were buns loaded with delicious roast beef, a green salad, an Italian pasta salad, crisp fried chicken wings (famous in Buffalo, NY), and wait until you hear the desserts! . . . Chocolate Cake, Pound Cake, Italian Wedding Cookies made by Kit’s sister, and Cannoli. Did we ever waddle out! It was a wonderful ending to a really good Off Day in upstate New York. Thanks so much, Kit and Family. I hope I get back to Lewiston some day.
Desserts

Whistle Pigs and Wings


2 Comments:

At August 3, 2011 at 9:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love reading your adventures and traveling with you. GOD's creation is so beautiful. So glad it is cooler!!! Love ya'll, Vicki

 
At August 4, 2011 at 12:18 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I so remember my one trip to Niagara---I had gone to speak at a Toronto convention and had enjoyed that--then we took a bus over to Niagara. It was so cool and beautiful. I went into the underground space under the falls and was OK too even though I hate enclosed space like that. You have surely had a great trip, girl!
Beth

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home