Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Tuesday, Aug. 9 2011 Middlebury, VT 42 miles


Katie - our youngest cyclist
First view of VT
Green fields
I am SO happy to be in Vermont! As soon as we crossed Lake Champlain on the Ticonderoga Ferry and entered Vermont, the terrain and “feel” changed. The farms are picturesque, the fields are green and rolling, the backroad hills are long and steep and such fun! And, there are no billboards around to spoil the views. Today’s distance of 42 miles was perfect. It should be so short every day . . . I really had fun powering up, then flying down. (That’s relative, as I rarely go over 25-28 mph - not nearly as fast as some.) Yesterday's day off did me a world of good.

The Lunch Bunch
Kit, Sue, Lynda, Deb, Judie
Middlebury, VT, is a beautiful college town located in a valley between the A’dack and Green Mountains. Traffic through town is busy, but cars move slowly and stop for pedestrians crossing in the many crosswalks. . . Such civility! I rode into town with the group pictured. After going by the hotel and finding our rooms not quite ready, we walked back down the hill to Main Street and discovered a grand place for lunch called Jackson On the River. We chose an outside table on the deck overlooking Otter Creek. Baskets full of colorful petunias adorned the railing. It was a happy and delicious meal.

I wandered around as I made my way back to the hotel. So many historic homes and buildings have gorgeous flowers in front. I took a picture of the most beautiful Oakleaf Hydrangeas I’ve ever seen. At the VT Bookstore, I bought a mystery by Archer Mayor, an author who uses his hometown of Brattleboro as the setting for his mysteries. Ellen told me about him.

I’m at the laundry mat now. . . Always good to use a washing machine rather the nightly “by hand” wash.

We’re staying tonight and tomorrow night at the Middlebury Inn which has served travelers since 1827. This is just one of many historic buildings in downtown Middlebury. Mary B. (Gainesville, FL) is my roommate. The Inn serves tea and desserts in the parlor from 2:30 - 5:30. I may check that out tomorrow.


Ft. Ticonderoga
Nancy calls the ferry
Ticonderoga Ferry
This morning before crossing the ferry over Lake Champlain, we rode a litle off course to see Ft. Ticonderoga which dates back to 1775 and is the site of America’s first victory. The approach to the fort is along a lovely road bordered on both sides with trees and stone markers noting historic battles, both Indian and American, I.e. Am. Revolution, French and Indian, War of 1812. The Ticonderoga Ferry dates from 1759 and is run on cables across Lake Champlain. 


2008 Southern Tier Alums

Me, Mary, Sue, Pat, Ellen (back) Linda, Michelle
For dinner tonight we had numerous guests including Pat White and Sue Elliott, both Vermonters and part of my ‘08 ST (see pic). They brought us a delicious guacamole dip and salsa that we enjoyed with our "cross the state line” margaritas. They also brought several fruit pies for our dessert.

Menu: Fabulous Chili, Cornbread, Salad and desserts


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home