Friday, August 12, 2011

Friday, August 12, 2011 Lincoln, NH 63 miles



Connecticut River
Conn. R. - another view
Ah . . . Cool days in New England! What a treat! I began the day in my new wind jacket, but it came off by 9 AM which was after a few good climbs. The hills today were rolling, steep and/or LONG, but always fun, especially the descents. I can’t believe I just said that! We left White River Junction (confluence of White and Connecticut Rivers) and rode for quite some time along the Connecticut River - so pretty, calm and peaceful. We saw several groups out practicing the sport of sculling in what’s called a shell (canoe-like boat).

Nancy
Then, we crossed the river into New Hampshire (no sign, but you know what a new state means for us tonight!). Going along River Rd., we came across the Road Closed sign. Shortly afterwards, the surface turned to hard-packed dirt for at least a mile which was, fortunately, easy to ride on.


SAG stop on Conn. R.
Kit
Jean found this farm site for our first SAG stop.







Covered bridge
Next, we came down a steep hill to find this covered bridge.







New Hampshire landscape
Notice the threatening sky in my landscape pic. The day stayed overcast but never rained on us.







The second SAG stop was next to a field with our donkey friends. See the cross on his back? The donkeys enjoyed Nancy’s treat.
Nancy feeding the donkeys

www.fortunecity.com/greenfield/wilderness/58/cross.html


Big house
How would you like to live in this NH home?

The barn and garage were almost as big.

What moose?
This was the third moose sign I’ve seen, but, regrettably, no ‘mooses.’


The rushing brook was pretty and a welcome stop along a very long, but graded, sometimes 7% climb.

Beaver Pond
I stopped again to get two pics of Beaver Pond where I saw a beaver dam but no beaver.
Beaver Pond



Just before I started down the two mile descent, I stopped for this vista pic. The next two shots are inside Woodstock Inn where I had lunch with Elizabeth and Peggy.


Train on a beam

Finally saw a moose!
Ann found Hershey today
Lesley and me
Kancamagus Motor Lodge

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home