Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 Bar Harbor, Me 41 miles





Bar Harbor, August 16, 2011
What a fantastic day!! In spite of almost constant rain, I succeeded in completing the Northern Tier of the United Sates by bicycle. I wouldn’t have missed today’s ride for all the world! I had one flat, but Peg and Barb made quick work of changing it, and Michelle stopped by in the van to lend a hand with the big pump. I was back on the road in 20 min. and arrived Arcadia National Park Visitors’ Center just before eleven. From there we rode down to the wharf and took the obligatory pics. It’s a thrilling feeling to have made this journey, and I’m so grateful to all who followed me by blog and with prayers for good health and safety. They were answered over and abundantly.


Jean and me

Right after the pictures, I rode to the local bike shop where my Trek will be packed and shipped home. It will arrive in filthy condition from today’s rain, but I’m pretty good at cleaning it.

If it weren’t for the rain, I might take a walk around Bar Harbor. As it is, I can only mention what I saw riding in - the wharf and harbor, tourist shops galore, and restaurants galore. We’re staying at the BH Grand Hotel and ate lunch next door at The Chowdah House. I know there is a college here because I pitched my tent on the grounds back in 1998 or ‘99 when I was here for another bike trip.

Also, there’s Cadillac Mountain which I will not get to climb tomorrow to see the sunrise. (Almost wish I could stay an extra day to do this.) The top of Cadillac Mountain is the most eastern point in the United States to see the sun rise.

Our group had a reservation for dinner tonight at The Parkside Restaurant which is just a short walk from our hotel. We were given a choice of many entrees, inc. whole lobster, prime rib, crab cakes, chicken, salmon, etc. I enjoyed a delicious lobster, something I haven’t had since the last time I was in Bar Harbor. There were toasts and lots of pictures, and fat envelopes (I hope) for Michelle and Linda.

We did the entire Northern Tier
So, since 2007 I have traversed this beautiful country of ours a total of three times: 2007 from New Orleans to upper Minnesota, 2008 San Diego,  CA to St. Augustine, FL, 2010 Anacortes,  WA to Fargo, ND, 2011 Fargo, ND to Bar Harbor, ME.  There's nothing like seeing the mountains, desert, cliffs, corn fields, waterfalls, rivers and lakes from the saddle of a bike.  I'm very grateful for the privilege of good health and desire to do the traveling that I've been able to do.  I've been privileged, too, to meet many interesting and talented ladies who share my enjoyment of cycling.  They're a great group and I cherish their friendship.
More pictures tomorrow.
2011 NT:E SAG drivers

6 Comments:

At August 17, 2011 at 6:44 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations Clark. I loved following your descriptive writings and super photos as you made the journey to the Atlantic. How did you ever find the energy to lift the bike over your head at the end of the trail ? :-). I can tell you had a wonderful tour, your smile is as wide as your handlebars!
Thanks for sharing your ride,
Georgia

 
At August 17, 2011 at 7:44 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great journey you've had. The G&Gs are looking forward to seeing you and Jean .. tomorrow!
Jim

 
At August 17, 2011 at 8:28 AM , Anonymous Laura said...

Clark - have so enjoyed reading your blog and am happy you have arrived in Bar Harbor in good spirits. It's a long ways to ride for a lobster! What amazing journeys you've had in the past few years. Greetings to Jean and everyone else. Laura

 
At August 17, 2011 at 11:14 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only thing I hate is---no more interesting trip blog to read. I am so proud of you--you ARE blessed--and happy the trip was so enjoyable.
Beth

 
At August 17, 2011 at 8:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I've enjoyed reading the blog and seeing your pictures. Enjoyed even more the opportunity to meet you when you were in Bridgton.
JoAnne Diller

 
At September 3, 2011 at 1:14 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Want to do this some day! Congratulations!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home