Monday, August 15, 2011

Monday, August 15, 2011 Bucksport, ME 63.5/86.3



Immediately upon leaving Bath, we crossed Kenebec River over a very long and very high bridge. Two gals got flats shortly after crossing - always a bummer. Our route took us off Rt. 1 onto back roads - sometimes rough, always with steep hills, and rarely with shoulders - what a challenge! We rode thru villages of Damariscotta, Waldeboro, Rockport, Camden and Searsport before arriving in Bucksport. Camden was especially memorable as it is a very popular tourist location with lots of good restaurants and activities. Since Camden is on the Atlantic, I saw a huge marina with some very large pleasure boats. I stopped at Cappy’s Bakery and enjoyed a delicious croissant filled with spinach and feta cheese and a cup of very good New England coffee. The chef was on the floor and expressed interest in my trip. Upon invitation, she sat down with me to hear more details. It’s amusing to me how so many are flabbergasted by the trips I’ve taken.

Entering Rockport and Camden, it seemed that the two towns sort of ran together. Anyway, we were routed along the absolutely beautiful streets of Russell and Bay View. Talk about High Cotton - this was Very High Cotton! I passed by so many gorgeous homes and flower gardens and stopped to talk to one lady who was weeding in a light sprinkle. She confirmed for me that I was still on Russell Street (there aren‘t many street signs).

Before Camden I had walked one hill and within ten more miles, I had walked two more. I was biking at 3.1 mph and walked at 2.9! That’s when I decided to give my knees a break and SAG in after 63.5 miles. I realized later that I actually did the most difficult part of the mileage.



Fort Knox

Penobscot Bridge
Penobscot River emptying into Atlantic
We’re staying tonight at the Fort Knox Park Inn; Susan is my roommate. 
(L-R) Susan, Robin
The view from our window is of Penobscott River, the beautiful bridge and Fort Knox. 

Jean, Nancy, Carolyn, Barb
The SAG drivers entertained us tonight with a clever song that Barb wrote entitled “How Long Does It Take To Do the Dishes?” sung to the tune of “How Much Is That Doggie In the Window?” This was a tribute to all those who helped them wash and dry the dishes every night. (I don’t remember helping but twice.)



Some may wonder what we do for ‘facilities’ on the road, so here’s a picture of one green room spot that I found today. I, for one, do about 15 squats each morning as part of my exercise routine. J )
Colorful 'green room'




Menu: Fantastic Spaghetti, Caesar Salad, French Bread w/Pesto Sauce, Cheesecake

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home