Saturday, July 30, 2011

Thursday, July 28, 2011 45/55 miles Cleveland, OH

A first today - RAIN! Thinking it might rain all day, I dug out my rain jacket, but wound up just wearing it around my waist all day. It might have sprinkled on us a little while, but I definitely did not need the jacket. The road was wet, though, and puddly; the bikes got filthy! . . . Before I reached the town of Vermillion at mile 11.4, my back tire went flat. Peg and Connie were too far ahead to know, but Linda turned around and came back when she realized I wasn’t behind her. What a friend! She and others were a huge help because my hands simply aren't strong enough to work the new tire. To make a long story short, I had 3 quick flats in succession. Wound up finding a bike shop in Vermillion where I discovered the last flat was caused by a faulty valve stem. The entire ordeal took 2 hours before Linda and I got back on the road. Sue and Debbie’s families and friends hosted a lunch picnic for all the group at the Rocky River Yacht Club which we made albeit a little late. We were given a warm greeting when we arrived. The husbands had grilled hamburgers and hot dogs and the ladies (Wet Hens) had all brought salads and desserts.
Sue, Linda, me arriving late. . .
  Before arriving at the picnic, Sue, one of the Rocky River gals, gave us a short tour by Debbie’s home on Lake Road and also her home just around the corner on Maplewood. I enjoyed a Coors Light with my hamburger, and decided with about 6 others to take the van for the final few miles to the Doubletree in downtown Cleveland.. . . We’re here for 2 nights; Nancy B. is my roommate, but she’s spending tonight at her sister’s home.  
Carol saying 'goodbye'
We had dinner tonight at Café Sausalito as a send off for Carol White who’s been our guide since Fargo.  Carol’s wit and encouragement were always welcome and she’ll be missed.

Note:  The Wet Hens were the cutist group of ladies, all ages, but mostly 50 and older.  It seems that before the days that women were allowed to sail out of this yacht club, the men would go sailing all day and come home to their wives who were mad as wet hens!  Now, the ladies go sailing and leave the men at home!  They nicknamed themselves the Wet Hens and they not only  enjoy sailing together (and competing), but getting together all winter, too, for other sports, cooking classes, and who knows what!  They've been together for years and years, and Debbie is part of this group. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home