Saturday, July 23, 2011

Friday/Sat. July 22-23 Logansport, IN 20/96 miles

This is a layover day in Logansport but will write for awhile as though it were yesterday.

Weathered barn

Curious goat
Mt. Zion EUB Church 
July 22. Another crack of dawn start today. We literally watched the sun break over the horizon with the temp close to 80! Since I’m getting wiser in my “old” age, I planned for only a 20 mile ride which worked just fine. I took dry clothes, a change of sandals, and a book, so was quite comfortable for the time spent in the van. Even got in a little snooze time. I think there were seven of us who cut the ride short. My attitude is changing from “I want to ride every mile” to “I don’t ride in this kind of heat at home so why bake my brain on a trip that supposed to be fun.” Also, because I’ve been a little bit puny the last few days, these two days give me time to get a good rest. Anyway, the Twenty Mile Club riders had a perfectly enjoyable slow ride filled with singing, joking and stopping frequently for picture taking.

We were forewarned about a bridge out around mile 15. When we reached the intersection just before the 
Ellen reading our bridge clue
bridge, our guide had left a note taped to a pole with one of the triangles that we all wear, telling us that the area in question was passable on foot. Indeed it was, but the soft, deep, dirty sand was like walking thru volcanic ash. Since I wear cycling sandals, my feet and shoes were filthy. My feet got washed in a sink in Brook, IN, and my shoes got washed in the tub last night.

Quick stop to pick up riders

Just after the bridge, we crossed into Indiana and stopped at a quick stop in Brook to be picked up by the van. The neighborhood coffee klatch was in session - a group of retired men enjoying their early morning coffee and visit before returning home to receive their “honey-do” orders for the day. I bought a bottle of cranberry juice and bag of chips (the latter I did NOT need, but they sure tasted good). 

Bikes on top of van

We arrived at the Holiday Inn Express just before noon. Since we couldn’t check in that early, we all walked a block or so to Bob Evans' restaurant and enjoyed a good lunch. I’ve never been in a BE before, but that place has something for everyone whether you want breakfast, lunch or dinner. Between the bunch of us, we had something of each category. The next order of business was, of course, was bike cleaning and laundry. We’ve all got the routine down pat (eat, clean, wash).
Lunch Bunch
Kit and Ellen in front


Dinner last night was broiler chicken from Martin’s (local grocery) and a great pasta salad (Michelle). Ingredients of the latter included artichokes, red peppers, calamari olives, multicolored pasta, bits of zucchini and yellow squash. I’ve forgotten the other half of the ingredients! It was great. The guides have been working REAllY hard in the heat and long mileage days to be sure we have adequate water and snacks by supplementing what the SAG drivers do. We were happy that Michelle let someone else cook the chickens. Besides, who doesn’t like roasted chickens from Kroger/Fresh Market, etc.?

July 23. Time change - Indiana and the rest of the trip are on EST.
My roommate these two nights is Katie K. Katie lives in Richmond, CA, has her Ph.D. and teaches college biology. At 38, she’s the youngest of our group and quite delightful. Through all the days of corn crops, she’s been telling us all about the various varieties and methods of planting seed corn, production corn, eating corn, etc. We’re somewhat concerned that some form of corn is in almost everything we eat.

Guide Carol drove several of us 15 miles down the road this morning to Peru (pronounced Pee ru) to the area bike shop. Since we had called ahead, Zac was expecting us and very accommodating about tackling our bike problems.  
Zac's magic touch
With some effort, he was able to correctly diagnose my shifting issue. Since the shifter was still a little stiff, I asked him to make it work so that his grandmother could shift! He understood that, and now I’m quite happy. I took the bike outside and rode it to make sure I could manage the full range of shifting. Hills are in our future tomorrow and probably everyday thereafter. With all the purchases of gloves, bike accessories, GU, etc., not to mention bike repairs, I’m sure Zac and his staff are happy campers, too.


For my grandchilden


I’m really looking forward to tomorrow’s ride. The terrain promises to be more interesting, including a state park which means shade (!) but also possible, steep hills. Now that I can get to my low gear, the latter shouldn’t be a problem.

A word of thanks to all who (1) reached the end of this epistle, and (2) are supporting me with your prayers. I truly feel that support. Many thanks.  :))
Also, if you are reading the blog, do you know that you can click on the pictures to enlarge them? - a secret that I just discovered. . . I'm slowing learning how this thing works!

2 Comments:

At July 23, 2011 at 2:46 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Clark,
Congratulations on the 20 mile club, you all are so very wise!
I've sent you separately a little cartoon, I would have included it here but computers are much too smart for me to figure out.
Keep up the safe riding, I'm enjoying every mile of your adventure.
Georgia

 
At July 23, 2011 at 3:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave and I enjoy your writings!! You are funny and I even feel the heat!!! Most importantly, you remain safe and love the pictures--especially of the horses!!! Love ya'll and praying lots. Vicki

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home